Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Homemade Birthday

When T was about 6 months old, I became completely stuck on the idea of having a “Where the Wild Things Are” themed 1st birthday.  You can’t really buy WTWTA party decorations, but I was excited at the chance to create something original.

For a couple of months, I looked for a really cheap, used copy of Where the Wild Things Are.  I finally found one at Half Price Books that had a little bit of water damage for $2.

I scanned an image from the book and made T a shirt for his party:

T's Birthday 085

You can’t really tell from the pic, but it says King of All Wild Things on the front and has his name and a giant 1 on the back.  It is super cute.  I used the “light” t-shirt transfers on purpose to get kind of an over washed vintage effect.

I made favor bags from plain old brown lunch sacks and another scanned image:

T's Birthday 066

I made Monster cupcakes. 

T's Birthday 080

It was really important to me that T’s smash cake come out perfect.  So, I asked my very dear friend Laura to make it.  It came out exactly how I envisioned:

T's Birthday 082

And finally, my very favorite craft from T’s birthday.  I cut up the pages from the water damaged copy of the book and made a bunting to hang on the wall and a mini bunting to hang from his high chair.

T's Birthday 073

T's Birthday 069

T's Birthday 070

T's Birthday 111What a great day!  We are so blessed to have such a happy, healthy boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment