Something about fall always makes me feel super domestic. I want to cook, decorate, clean, and budget. Last week, I had the urge to drag out the crock pot and try some new recipes. I found an awesome recipe blog, Crockpot365. I tried three of her recipes and one other, and all four were WONDERFUL. I mean, like impressed with myself because I am such an awesome cook/mom/wife good.
First, I tried a recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tacos. I found the recipe on MyFitnessPal.com in the message boards, but the poster gave credit to the Crock Pot Girls on Facebook.
1 lb Dry Black Beans
2lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 10 oz cans mild rotel
The night before, soak beans overnight. Drain beans. Combine Rotel, beans, and chicken in crock. Turn on high 6-8. 1-2 hours before eating, shred meat with fork and mix all ingredients.
I didn’t actually follow those instructions. I didn’t have dry black beans, but I did have two cans. So I just rinsed them off and used those. I had one can of regular mild Rotel, and one can of cilantro and lime Rotel, so I used those. And I didn’t have any chicken, but I did have an Onion and Garlic pork roast. I cooked it on low 8-10 while I was at work, and I shredded it before serving WITHOUT mixing it with all of the ingredients. It was really, really good. This has a spot in our official dinner rotation.
Second, I tried Crockpot365’s Lemon and Herb Crock Pot Roasted Chicken. It was sooooo delish! It literally fell apart when I tried to take it out of the crock. I was kind of worried getting it off of the bone might be difficult, but it was falling off of the bone. I am not going to write out the recipe since I hyperlinked it. The store only had really small lemons, so I used 4 instead of two. I think that was the only thing I improvised on this one.
This was my first time to cook an entire bird! I was so proud.
Then, we tried Crockpot365’s Crock Pot Broccoli and Beef. I didn’t use thin sliced beef, but rather tender chuck steak I had in the freezer. Also, in the future, I will use less crushed red pepper flakes or none at all, because that shizz was hot! Overall, it was pretty good and I will probably make it again.
The last one we tried was Crockpot365’s Pho Soup. I didn’t use anise, because at first I couldn’t find it and then when I did, it was $7! Other than that, I followed recipe to a T. It was really, really good! It was something out of the ordinary for us, but we will have it again. I can see it making an appearance a couple of times a year, especially in the winter. I racked my brain for what I should serve with it, and finally I just made something up:
Baked Ground Turkey Eggrolls
1/2 lb Ground Turkey
3/4 package Broccoli Slaw
Water Chestnuts, chopped up, to taste (I probably used an 1/8 of a cup)
Fresh Basil, chopped, to taste (I probably used a whole sprig)
1/8 Cup Mung Bean Sprouts
2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Dash of Garlic Powder
Dash of Ginger
Eggroll Wraps or Won Ton Wraps
Start browning turkey. In a small bowl, mix hoisin, soy sauce, and spices. As turkey starts to brown, mix in sauce mixture. When turkey is done, add all other ingredients, except wraps. Mixture is done when it looks like veggies have cooked down a little. Place a spoonful of mixture in eggroll wrap, and roll according to package instructions. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Once desired number of rolls are completed, brush with olive oil and cook at 400 for 12-15 minutes (or according to instructions on wrap package). I turned mine over halfway through in order to brown both sides.
I wish that I had taken at least an end result picture of everything, but I didn’t. I will try to do that in the future!


No comments:
Post a Comment